Langer & Langer Recent Posts

You’ve Been in a Car Accident with an Uninsured Driver – Now What?

On Behalf of | Feb 17, 2016 | Car Accidents

Posted By Tara Worthley

When you are in a car accident, it can be an overwhelming experience—you may be injured, unable to go to work, your car totaled—the list can go on and on. However, if the accident wasn’t your fault, a reassuring thought is that at least the other driver’s insurance will pay for your damages. But will it?

Drivers who operate vehicles on Indiana roadways are required to carry motor-vehicle insurance, but many drivers still do not carry coverage. If you find out the negligent driver is not insured, you need to contact your insurance agent immediately to find out if you purchased uninsured- and underinsured-motorist coverage. This kind of coverage provides you with benefits in the event you are hurt by a driver who either does not have any insurance or does not carry enough insurance. This important coverage is affordable and can be invaluable if you are the victim in a crash.

After a car accident in Indiana, it is important to determine how much insurance the responsible driver has and the extent of your own insurance coverage. Sometimes, insurance companies for the negligent driver will not provide this information to you voluntarily. In addition, if you do have underinsured-motorist coverage, you must follow certain legal requirements when resolving a claim with the at-fault driver to be potentially eligible to access your own benefits.

You may want to start off the process early on by consulting with an Indiana car accident lawyer. When you or a loved one are hurt in a car or truck crash, your attorney can go a long way toward ensuring that you get the answers, resolution, and closure you need. As your advocate, the attorney you choose to work with will work to help make a difference. The Indiana car accident lawyers of Langer & Langer serve clients throughout Indiana.

Feel free to contact our offices, if you have further questions about traffic accidents in Indiana.